Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Belgium, Week 1

Wow, it took me about 3 days just to figure out how to write an entry, since I'm using an ipad, which doesn't have a normal browser for this website, and every option for this website is all of a sudden in Dutch! I just happened to push the right button and got it right!

We arrived in Belgium on Friday evening, February 1st. The flight was good and bad. Good because Johan's company paid for him to fly business class, so he got to sip champagne and eat a 3 course dinner, while Axel got the seat next to me that was originally reserved for Johan. I didn't care, I was just happy that I didn't have a 30 pound toddler on my lap for 9 hours. Axel slept awful, only 2 hours. Luckily, as soon as he woke up, I asked Johan to take him, so I got to go sleep in Johan's business class seat! Johan woke me up 4 hours later exhausted, so I took Axel, and got him to sit in his seat and watch movies until we landed.

We are living in Turnhout, which is about an hour northeast of Brussels. It's a pretty standard looking European town. It has about 40,000 inhabitants, so not big, not small. We live on one of the main streets. We have a small market right across the street that sells vegetables, milk, and basic necessities. Next door to the market is a bakery where we buy our bread. And a couple stores down is the butcher, where we buy our meats. It's pretty quaint to have to go to three stores for all our food needs. The owner of the market already knows us, and is so nice. She gives Axel free fruit and little things to play with, and gives us free samples of things she makes for the store, like her crab spread.


All the food is so good. And the beer and chocolate absolutely deserve the good reputation. I never realized how fruits and vegetables are in the mainstream American grocery stores lack that home grown taste. We made dinner the other night and just baked carrots, potatoes, green beans, Brussel sprouts, and chicken, and it was like we had grown everything ourselves. The milk tastes much different, more creamy, and the bread is delicious. You buy a loaf at the store and they slice it right there for you. Axel loves the cheese here too.


We have been so jet lagged. We have been going to bed at a normal hour, but then Axel will wake up at around 1:00, and none of us can got to sleep for several hours. The first night, we were up until 4:30, and all woke up at 10:00! and that was because we forced ourselves to wake up. This has never happened to us, usually it's so easy to come to Europe. Our theory is the lack of sunlight, because we haven't been to Europe during the winter for about 6 years, we aren't used to no sunlight. But it's getting better and better with each day. Axel is finally taking good naps during the day, and going to bed at a decent hour. He is going through a super clingy phase though. So he doesn't want to go to bed alone. I usually have to lay next to him for a bit before he goes to bed, and when he wakes up in the middle of the night all he wants is to be held, and will absolutely not let you put him back in bed alone. I just decided to comfort him for a bit, but then leave. He cries for a couple of minutes, then falls asleep. We tried so many other options, with no success, so we're trying this for now. Hopefully
the night wakings stop soon.

Yesterday was Johan's first day at work. He works about 5 minutes away by bus. He really likes it. Axel and I walked to a daycare across the street and asked if we could join. There isn't a lot to do here during the days, so I asked if Axel could join and I could volunteer there. We'll see if they contact us and allows to come. I also am going to join a gym that's a couple buildings down from us.

Tuesday, Feb 5: Today is Tuesday, and it snowed! Only for a bit, then the sun came out and melted the snow. We went to a meetup that the daycare recommended for us. It's free, and indoors. They had tons of toys, and there were several Belgian moms with kids Axels age. They were really nice. I met a mom whose name I can't spell. She was born here, but has Morroccan parents. She had a son Axels age. After the class, she walked with me and showed me where they have an indoor playground. We said we'd see each other at the class again on Thursday.

Wednesday, Feb 6: Axel finally slept through the night!! We decided that if he woke up, we would not go in to get him. When he woke up at 11 pm, he cried for a couple of minutes, then fell back asleep and didn't wake up until 8:30 am. Today Axel and I went exploring in the morning. I saw a road leading out of town the other day, so we followed it and found a huge forest with trails! I was just thanking God, because I was starting to get stressed out over the lack of outdoor places to play here. We are just not accustomed to staying indoors.

I went to try out a gym last night, it's a block from our apartment. I got a free one day pass and took a step aerobics class. I talked to the instructor beforehand so she knew I spoke English. Every now and then during the class she'd yell out the next exercise instructions in English for me. I was laughing at how embarrassing that was, but also because it was so nice of her.







So far, the Belgian people have been so friendly to us. There is a bar/restaurant downstairs from our apartment, and the owner gave us some delicious beer. We told him we were having trouble taking money out with our credit cards and he said "don't worry, just come here and I will loan you cash"! What an offer. We ended up being able to take out money, but that was very generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment