Tuesday, December 13, 2011

7 1/2 Months Already?

Lately I feel like a chicken with its head cut off. I've been working from home since Axel was born. In the beginning it was max 5 hours per week, but last week I clocked in 30 hours! That's crazy! One bad thing about it is that when you're already a full time mom, it feels like you should be paid overtime when you're working nights! But it feels nice to be able to help Johan out with the bills, and I really love my job. The only reason it works is because Axel still takes 3 naps per day, each nap is between 1 to 2 hours long. And he goes to bed at 6:00 pm, wakes up between 6 and 7 a.m., and doesn't wake up anymore to nurse. I don't know how moms survive without putting their babies on a schedule, it's been an absolute lifesaver for me.

On Friday we're meeting with a potential nanny that my friends recommended. I'm thinking of returning to work in a couple of months, so we've just started the process of figuring out the daycare/nanny situation. I'm thinking I'll go back to work part-time. And I like the idea of a nanny so that we don't have to rush Axel out the door, he'll have one-on-one care, and he can keep his schedule and take naps at home. But he's also very stimulated by other kids, so he might like a daycare. We'll have to take some time to do our homework and see what we think is best for him.

I've also been trying to make or buy Christmas presents, taking care of Axel, then on top of that it's grocery shopping, cleaning the house, doing laundry, etc. I have, however, had time to make some new recipes and do some sewing in my minutes of free time. I made this trifle last week that got lots of oohs and ahhs. I really just made it up by combining a cake recipe with a chocolate mousse recipe and threw in some berries. Here it is:

Chocolate Berry Mousse Trifle

Cake:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 75 g butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1-1/2 cups flour, sifted
  • 1 cup of any berries....blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, save 1/2 cup for cake topping
Preheat oven to 350. Mix the above ingredients in order that I've written them. Fold the berries in gently. Line a cake tin with butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs (I use crumbs instead of flour, but flour is ok too). Bake for about 30 minutes. But I always have to check, because some ovens might not require the same amount of time.
Chocolate Mousse:
  • 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, whipped
In a microwave heat chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter until the chocolate and butter are melted. Cool for 10 minutes. In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees F, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture. Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Of course, I am always too anxious and only refrigerate it for about an hour.
Once the cake and mousse are cooled, cut the cake into two or three layers. Get a large glass bowl and start the layering. Mousse, cake, mousse, cake, mousse, cake, mousse. If you have extra berries, throw them on top for decoration. Voila!

Here are a couple of really easy DIY things I've done around the house. I got this idea off of Pinterest. I got some old Mason jars and glass jars, filled them with salt, and added a tea light, so easy! I also love to decorate with trimmings from the Christmas tree.
I also had some dried hydrangeas that were turning yellow from age. I decided to spray paint them white and add some more Christmas tree trimmings.

We went surfing yesterday. A swell was coming in, so the waves were small but building up. I had also just bought a really nice new wetsuit and wanted to try it out. There is no better feeling than paddling out in the water on a sunny day. I have always been a country girl that loved the mountains, and I still am. But since I've lived in San Diego, I have grown a true love for the ocean. I'd love to teach Axel to surf and see him and Johan riding tandem one day. No pressure, Johan.

Nowadays, getting out and about is still a process of incredible time management. Since Axel takes naps every 2 hours that means I have 2 hours to run my errands because, unfortunately, he won't nap in his carseat anymore. So before Axel wakes up from each nap I have to have our next 2 hours planned out so I can maximize our efficiency. This is becoming a well-oiled machine.

Axel is becoming such a little boy, I can't believe it! About two months ago, Johan started putting his finger on Axel's lips while he was babbling so it would make a ba bab babab bab ba sound. Axel loves it! So when he's playing by himself, he'll take whatever is in his hands against his lips and try to make that sound, it's so cute! He's still not crawling, but can move around the house amazingly by pivoting and rolling. Another first is we started covering him with a blanket when he sleeps. My Mom started this when we visited her, and he loved it and slept so well. He has also started becoming really cranky on certain days. I don't know if he's teething or what. He is also his father's son. When he sees me preparing his food, he becomes SO impatient! He yells and fusses as if he's trying to say "now mommy, I want food now!" Johan's mom said he was the same way. He's started feeding himself too. I cut pieces of tofu up into cubes and he'll pick them up and shove them into his mouth. Except for the occasional crankiness, this is a really fun age. (See cranky Axel eating below).

No comments:

Post a Comment